Thursday, September 9, 2010

Battle Plans

I have a plan: 6 weeks at the Stinky Zinc, 2,000 bucks profit. That's about 330 a week, which is feasible but might be overshooting it. The plan's ephemeral structure is good for me to concentrate on what will happen after 6 weeks.

I'm still searching for opprotunities in finance or sports, or a melding of the two, and primarily through networking. The other day I wrote down all the folks I had called or spoken with, and was excited to see how many names were on that list. I then sorted them depending on whether they were a closed door or an open one, and there turned out to be more open ones. So... why... am... I... still... sitting... here? Well, let me tell you a little something about networking. It's like watching golf on TV. You move around from player to player, and you watch them get the ball in the cup, but then proceed to the next player who is shooting. Networking is similar in that the focus constantly changes from contact to contact, and you may have a great conversation and set up a meeting with a new contact or even arrange an interview, but because you can't rely on that one person to pull through, you have to continue with all your other networks also. And just like watching golf on TV, networking can upset you and make you feel unwanted. And once you've expunged all genuineness from your conversations, and are basically reading from a script, it gets really boring. Kinda like TV golf.

1 comment:

  1. Come to Tahoe and it'll be like hellanationalgeografusetv, bra...

    ReplyDelete